Thursday, February 13, 2014

Stuck with Linux Mint in the end

Apparently, my laptop has a mind of its own. It won't let me install Manjaro KDE. I know I have to get a new laptop but...for this laptop to force me to stick with linux mint, huh...

My laptop (the one I'm currently using to write this) is old. I want to get a new one for casual stuff and leave my main desktop for programming/debugging, etc. I really wanted to have a go with an arch-based distro. It seems I won't be able to until I get a new laptop, until then I'll stick with Linux Mint, which I don't mind because I'm really used to debian-based distro.

I tried to get into OpenSUSE, I've heard many great things about their community and how open it is for all ages, and that really makes me happy inside. However..... I'm not a fan of their software management program... so clunky and slow... I usually install all my packages through cli since it's faster. But... using their gui installer was pretty bad. Another thing that I couldn't get right was installing multilib, or well, 32 bit packages. In debian you would just say apt-get install mplayer:i386 and you are done. In OpenSUSE? god knows, I didn't stay around for long.

So, to sum it up. I don't know when I will get my new laptop, but when I do it'd be either Manjaro or yet another debian-based distro.


No comments:

Post a Comment