Monday, September 1, 2014

I was wrong about GNOME 3, it might become one of the strongest DE contender than it ever was.

I was wrong. I won't apologize of course, we all know that GNOME 3 didn't exactly had an spectacular release. And I still hate the official tablet-like look--mind you, I still use GNOME Classic.

So what was I so wrong about? Why doesn't GNOME 3 die and burn in hell for eternity?

Well, if you have to ask. They did a lot of things right. I would say they provided an even more intuitive interface than KDE ever did.

How important is unification?

If you are some sort of neckbeard or wannabe zealot then chances are you are enjoying your Linux desktop in whatever window manager of your choosing while simultaneously assaulting other desktops environments and depriving them of their choices.

After using GNOME 3.12, something came to mind. They were doing a lot of things right. I think screenshots will do a better talking than me.

User Management is a bliss.

Evolution unifies really well with my google account

No brainer date and time interface

One of my favorites! I wish KDE had something like this

Automatic printer sharing detection. I was using Samba of course.

It's so easy it hurts.

Beautiful font rendering

And this wins the prize

I don't think many of you know but I was a GNOME 2 avid user. I loved it to death, and then KDE 4 came with all its stupid wobbly windows, but you know, it worked. It was usable, sure it had its ups and down but it didn't turn out so bad. 

GNOME 3 did a daring move though, one that could have ended the project itself. Yet, they started listening to feedback. I think that in a way I blame their user interface designers because they could have introduced more HUMANE interfaces than what they provided in the initial release. It felt like they forgot their old userbase existed and that's bad. The thing that "we don't know what we want" is a bullshit line, imho. Even if the end-user didn't know what she/he wants, you shouldn't have gone full retard. 

Of course, GNU/Linux is all about choice. Sadly, if we are going to CONQUER the desktop we need to choose a desktop environment to rule them all. If so, which would be your desktop environment of choice that the end-user would feel usable? Let's play a game. Choose one that needs the least of terminal interaction.


No comments:

Post a Comment